Dr Rusdianto is a Ph.D Graduate in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering from National University of Singapore (2014). His prior education includes M.Eng in Biochemical Engineering from Chulalongkorn University, Thailand (2006), and B.Eng in Bioprocess Engineering from Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB), Indonesia (2004).
Creative and innovative applications of biotechnology for improving quality of life is at the center of his passion in science and education. His past research experiences include utilization of activated sludge from biological treatment of textile waste into bricks for construction, development of immobilized cell technology using loofa reinforced alginate carriers for enhancing bioethanol production, and expansion in applications of chitosan-based hydrogel in regenerative medicine to stimulate tissue regeneration.
At present, his research interests include:
1. Enhancing bioactivity of biomaterials for regenerative medicine via surface modification, such as augmentation of the surface of medical implants with bioactive agents (e.g. growth factor or peptides) and antibacterial molecules.
2. Optimization of biomaterials, cells, and bioactive molecules interactions in tissue engineering, for example for bone, wound, and tooth regeneration.
3. Controlled and targeted drug delivery for diagnostics and treatment of diseases, such as cancers.
4. Utilization of industrial and household waste for environmental friendly applications, such as production of biogas or electricity from biological waste treatment.
5. Enhancing wastewater treatment using recent advances in environmental biotechnology for clean water production.
6. Improving the efficiency of biofuel production, such as the production of bioethanol using immobilized cell technology.
1. R. Budiraharjo, K.G. Neoh, and E.T. Kang, “Enhancing bioactivity of chitosan film for osteogenesis and wound healing by covalent immobilization of BMP-2 and FGF-2”, J. Biomater. Sci. Polym. Ed., 24 (2013) 645-62.
2. R. Budiraharjo, K.G. Neoh, and E.T. Kang, “Hydroxyapatite-coated carboxymethyl chitosan scaffolds for promoting osteoblast and stem cell differentiation”, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 366 (2012) 224-32.
3. R. Budiraharjo, K.G. Neoh, E.T. Kang, and A. Kishen, “Bioactivity of novel carboxymethyl chitosan scaffold incorporating MTA in a tooth model”, Int. Endod. J., 43 (2010) 930-9.
4. M. Phisalaphong, R. Budiraharjo, P. Bangrak, J. Mongkolkajit, and S. Limtong, “Alginate-loofa as carrier matrix for ethanol production”, J. Biosci Bioeng, 104 (2007) 214-7